Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Friends


Monday morning I got an email from my friend Molly letting many of us know that our dear friend Karen Brown's father had had a stroke and it didn't look good. I was shocked. I immediately called Fern who was visitng Karen in Texas for the weekend and was told how bad it was. I called Karen who was on her way to Indiana and got to talk to her. Karen's dad was 61 years old. Karen didn't make it in time to see her dad, he died an hour before she could get there. I was in shock. Karen had a really great dad, a hands on grandfather and just a wonderful guy. He was young and he died so quickly. It is so sad to see your friends lose their parents. I was in a funk on Monday, I just couldn't believe it and I was so sad for my great friend Karen.

I had the great honor to hear Dick Vitale talk last night at a small dinner party. The topic of the dinner was "Passionaries" and "Legacy". We were all challenged before dinner to share with our dinner partners what kind of legacy we wanted to leave and how our parents helped form what kind of legacy we would leave.

On the way home in the car it became clear to me. My mother who died at 40 (I was 14) left me the legacy to make friends. My father who died last year taught me everything else. My father taught me to live each day with enthusiasm. That life is not fair. That you control the power to make each day great. He taught me the importance of an education. He taught me not to leave dirty dishes in the sink. He taught me to love.

Many of you know I have been sad since my father died. What I realized last night was that it is my enthusiasm that has been down. It takes time to recover from the death of a parent and I am in the process of getting my enthusiam back. have patience with me.

Life is what you make it, another great Marvism and my father was right. This year I have chosen gratitude as my word for the year. I want to be more greatful each day. I am working on it.

I am so sorry my dear friend Karen, I am here for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home